Gisborne Wine and Food Festival is a very expected event in New Zealand. Hundreds of people come here every year to taste local foods and drinks, especially wine. Why wine? Gisborne is a winery region. The best wineries and the largest vineyards of New Zealand are in Gisborne. The most famous ones are Gisborne Wine Center, Bushmere Estate, and Poverty Bay Wine Estates Ltd Bridge Estate Vineyard. All of the most delicious and interesting wine sorts are represented at the festival too.
Wine degustation is one of the main reasons people come to this region. Here they can taste new sorts of wine, finding something new to complement meat and fish.
We’re going to introduce you to some famous wine sorts and brands, which were presented at Gisborne Festival previous years.
- Gisborne Garagiste Wine Company is a pretty young company, established in 2012. However, it has already become an awarded one. It was awarded as Best Value Wine in Gisborne in 2013-2014. Among the most interesting wines, represented at the festival, were Chardonnay (aromas of guava and grapefruit), Gewurztraminer (aromas of floral apricot and kiwi pavlova), and St Laurent (aromas of black cherry and smoky oak).
- Hihi Wines is a small winery boutique, founded in distant 2005. Among the most delicious wines, presented at the festival, were White Sangria, Pinot Gris, Albarino, and Pinotage.
- Bushmere Estate Wines is a family-owned winery. The company constantly produces wines which get multiple awards at Gisborne Festival. There they presented Classic Chardonnay (a mix of white peach and biscuit aromas), The Italians (a mix of dark cherry and coffee beans), and Gewurztraminer (a blend of lychee, lime, and honey).
- Longbush Wines and The Family Co has presented almost the biggest number of wines at the festival. They offered visitors to try their best sorts like Longbush Bird Series Chardonnay, Longbush Bird Series Merlot, Longbush Bird Series Pinot Gris, The Family Viognier, The Family St Laurent, etc.
- Matawhero Wines is one of the oldest wineries on the New Zealand market. The company has produced and improved their wines for years. No wonder that in 2014 it won the Trophy for Highest Awarded Wine Company. At the festival, Matawhero Wines presented its classic wines like Matawhero Pinot Rose, Matawhero Merlot, and Matawhero Pinot Noir. The wines, produced by the company, have a very soft palate of tastes.
- Stone Bridge Wines. It is one more company, which has represented many wine sorts at the festival, getting Gold and Silver medals for Chardonnay and 40fied Port. Stone Bridge Wines offers Sangria, Pinot Gris, Sauvignon Blanc, Viognier, Chardonnay, and 40fied Port.
- VinsSophora is represented by bubble wine, made with exotic fruit nectar. The company offers not only delicious wine but also a very distinctive and sophisticated design of each bottle.
Visit Gisborne Wine and Food Festival for more drinks and foods!